Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Playing in the Sandbox #17

The sandbox wiki is nifty. I checked out My Recent Good Reads, What I am Reading, 23 of mahjchick's favorite romance writers, and many of the random travel and favorite things sites that folks had created. Kudos to everyone who has discovered how to create a blog.

I'm going to skip the doing part of this exercise as I have already created a wiki. I question too whether creating a list of my favorite things is really a good subject for a wiki. How will people contribute to my favorite things--they don't know me, though I suppose they could add ideas of what else might appeal to me. Though that might be helpful to me, it doesn't really add to the common knowledge or promote wider community involvement.

I have two wiki ideas that I want to persue here at my library. A community wiki and a reader's advisory wiki. I also really like the idea of making our adult summer reading group into a wiki (though that might not be quite the right technology). Re. the community wiki, the local newspaper does a wonderful community guide each fall that would make a perfect base for a wiki: churches, clubs, restaurants, parks, recreation, culture, etc... I'm not sure how they will feel about copyright issues but we shall see!

No comments: