Saturday, August 11, 2007

Wild and Wonderful World of Wikis

I've created one unsuccessful wiki and have plans for another which I hope will be more useful... The dud was a PB wiki that I built for a group of homeschoolers for whom I was doing an Internet class. My grand idea was that they would continue to use the wiki to add sites that they discovered etc... "If you build it they will come" but you still have to provide valuable enough content to make the trip worth the bother. Lesson learned. In my defense (perceived failure makes me feel defensive I suppose) I really just wanted to play with the concept and had just learned about PB Wiki from a colleague who'd gone to the 2005 Computers in Libraries conference.

My latest brainstorm is that a wiki would be a good place to keep our reader's advisory book lists. Several of us here at the library are working on a series of bookmarks and reading lists and a wiki would be a nice way of storing our collective project while also allowing our patrons to get in on the fun. Still in its nascent stages... we'll see how well this one goes.

Ideas that impressed me from this lesson's explorations:

The St Joseph's Public Library's in Indiana has subject guides that are pretty fabulous - great that they integrate catalog selections with their subjects http://www.libraryforlife.org/subjectguides/index.php/Main_Page

The Princeton Book Lovers wiki is a great idea - we just finished a summer reading club for adults and I should have been doing this! Folks wrote all sorts of good reviews that need a viewing space. A good fall project? Definitely an idea to be implemented next summer...

And of course the Library Success: Best Practice wiki is terrific, it comes to light all over the place and is one of my del.icio.us bookmarks.

No comments: