Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Lucky #13

Del.icio.us provides an interesting service for organizing bookmarks that can be accessible from anywhere online. This alone is a great service for those of us who have bookmarks in Firefox and Explorer and work on three different desks depending on the day. I am not disciplined enough to have exported and installed all of my bookmarks on the two reference desk computers as well as my office computer... but del.icio.us might be new and interesting enough to get me there!

It is even more useful (I suspect) as a citation searching tool of sorts for intrepid explorers. Much like writing a research paper or working on an annotated bibliography--after a while the same authors start to pop up. This lets you know that you are starting to get a good grasp on your topic as well as giving you new avenues and authors to research further. The tagging aspect of social bookmarking allows this same functionality. We can track other libraries or individuals who are interested in the same ideas that we are, and learn about new technologies or unknown web domains from our explorations.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I'll have to spend a bit more time with this to know how useful it can really be, but the idea is certainly interesting.

August 11 - I'm sold I think. As I encounter more great ideas and programing tips in the wiki section of thing 16, I'm bookmarking like mad and realizing that once I bookmark in my browser, I seldom revisit or remember why I thought a site was so grand. Del.icio.us to the rescue...now I just have to keep using it and making good tags!

No comments: