Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Library Thing (#11)

It's hard to envision my home library sitting here at the reference desk... Suffice it to say that I have more books than I can recall at this sitting, but wow - what a fun tool Library Thing is! I really like the Unsuggester what a hoot. Apparently if you like Jennifer Crusie's Bet Me (as I do) then you will not like George Orwell's Down and out in Paris and London or Vineland by Thomas Pynchon. Now I do like reading Orwell, but I don't quite get (much to my dismay) Pynchon - I read about half of Gravity's Rainbow before I gave up and decided that I did not like the sensation of being in the kind of hallucinations that accompany a high fever... I totally get the social network when it comes to books - I like seeing how many matches there are between my book shelves and those of other folks. It's super cool to get book suggestions from other people (much like Amazon I guess) who have the same books. A++

2 comments:

Shannon said...

Hahahahahahaha, sigh. Your commentary on Gravity's Rainbow amuses me. I've heard so much of this kind of thing said about the book that I'm not even going to attempt reading it. It's going into a pile along with Ulysses...another book I avoid for fear of brain explosion.

SheReadsALot said...

Ha - I really like the Joyce I've read, but yeah, Ulysses is another ball of wax, to phrase it mildly. It's a great book to read if you want to synthesize the feeling of being on drugs though...