Wednesday, July 11, 2007

MERLIN...sortof

Well, I started to explore MERLIN, but now I'm waiting for my user account to be approved so I can't go as deeply as I will later.

I did go to Meez and create an avatar - good, mostly clean, fun...

I'm excited to subscribe to the MERLIN feed - any tools that help me stay abreast of technology make me happy.

My other mission with RSS feeds is to enable (and understand) how the technology works with our new "Reader's Corner" newsletters and Dear Reader content. I'll keep you updated on that!

A recurring theme in my posts has been a low pitched whine about time and how long these technologies can take to thoroughly explore. While searching Google for MERLIN, I came across a blog from a BCPL librarian named Ellen. She refers readers of her blog to a post on David Lee King's blog, http://www.davidleeking.com/2006/09/19/making-time-for-web-20/ entitled "Making Time for Web 2.0." It reminds us that the reason we're doing 23 things and getting hip to web 2.0 is that this is where our patrons are (and have been for some time) so it's critical that we keep up if we want to be relevant. Admonishment taken - I'll try to be more upbeat. :)

1 comment:

Shannon said...

Haha, man, I feel you on the time-consuming aspect of these tasks. The simple fact is that you really have to take more than 15 minutes if you want to get more than a passing familiarity with the sites, so it's kind of self-regulating that way - your expertise is directly proportionate to the amount of time you're willing to spend. Imagine that, huh? I'm continually hovering somewhere midway between skimming the surface and becoming an expert, and I figure that's probably okay.

That avatar is eerily Carrie-like. :') Especially the clothes.