Thursday, July 5, 2007

Technology Smeknology

So for thing #7, I have to say that I am a bit confounded by technology today. I am trying to turn a Word document into a .jpg for use with our new Dear Reader Reader's Corner pages. Who would have thunk it would be so many steps... Dear Reader displays print newsletters as jpgs when it emails them to patrons...and converting from Word to jpg creates files that are way too big, hence the attempt to go from Word to pdf to jpg.

I've downloaded a freeware pdf converter called Software995 -- it's a good, free tool that I have used before. So Word to pdf is accomplished with a minimum of fuss. (However, there was a short detour as I tried to use the Google documents tool which will only upload documents as html -- completely destroying all Word formatting. Oh well. it would have been a nice CPU space saving alternative to Software995!) Now I am stuck with how to get my image into a jpg.

For a relatively low price I can download a universal document converter which will turn my pdf into a jpg... but it's the age of freeware, so perhaps there is a cheaper/better alternative? What do you know? Software995 has a freeware option that works with Pdf995 called Omniformat. For the trouble of a pop-up ad every time I use the software (this wouldn't happen if I upgraded to the fee based version of their software, but acknowledging that I am using a sponsored version of their software is a small price to pay!) Omniformat creates a folder on my hard drive and once I tell it to start scanning, it will convert any file that I save to that folder into a jpg (or any other format that I specify). Pretty neat. The graphic quality still leaves a bit to be desired, but perhaps that is a struggle for another day.

It seems there is some lesson here about technology--at what point does technology cease to make life simpler and start to make a task more complicated? Days like today make me feel like I have crossed that line into the more complicated...

2 comments:

zebra said...

Seemed loads of steps indeed. Why not create in Word, copy text, and then open Paint or some other graphics program and paste. Save as jpeg.

SheReadsALot said...

Thanks Zebra - probably worth a try! As long as the format isn't disturbed by taking it into Paint, that should work beautifully. I've since evolved the process a wee bit - I actually need the pdf since I'm providing that as a printable option to site visitors, so it isn't so bad to turn the pdf into a jpg.